The backwards Reader

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

"I Don't Want to be Your Guru, but I Have Something to Say," by Joyce Shafer - Book Review

"I Don't Desire to be Your Guru, but I have got got Something to Say" is James Joyce Shafer's gift to me. This book, short and easy-to-read, do me recognize that other books, sharing wisdom that I have read, were merely building up to this book. The book could be read in one afternoon, but why would you desire to? I took my clip reading this book and intentionally did not tag in it, high spot or flag any portion of it. I desire to read it again before I really draw the lessons out of the text.

Through an easy departure conversation in a cafe, lessons about how we see ourselves and the human race around us are shared between two people. Each lesson is one which I desire to enjoy – like a delicious amuses-bouche. An amuses-bouche is bite-sized morsel served before the first course of study of a meal. And its purpose is to tantalize (or amuse) the oral cavity and indeed tease the diner with what the chef have prepared for the followers courses. "I Don't Desire to be Your Guru" functions up an array of amuses-bouche – each lesson teasing me with the possibility of how my life could be altered, bettered, lifted by integrating these lessons into it.

In "I Don't Desire to be Your Guru," the loose narrative which environments these lessons is a immature adult female named AJ (though I say it could be a man, but as I am a adult female I surmise Ms. Shafer intended me to see AJ as a woman) who is returning to the land site where she had this life-changing conversation with Old Bill. She is returning 10 old age after the conversation – and Iodine suspect that of everything she learned in her conversation with this "guru," it could take 10 old age to really incorporate and reflect on these lessons as portion of your mundane life. And I, for one, can't wait to acquire started!

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home