The backwards Reader

Friday, September 21, 2007

The Shadow of the Wind - Book Review

Daniel Sempere is a ten-year-old boy in Barcelona taken by father to the graveyard of forgotten books. He is encouraged to choose just one book, which he does, and small makes he cognize that by doing so, he put in movement a series of events that volition form his life forever.

The Shadow of the Wind have been hugely successful and have bathed in infinite Numbers of truly fantastic reviews. It have sold massively well and I came to this book full of hope, and yes, though I enjoyed it, I went away slightly disappointed.

It is translated from the Spanish and one or two of the interlingual renditions really grated with me. "Excuse me?" Time and again for Pardon, or I implore your pardon, being just one of them. In 1940's Barcelona, I believe not.

I establish the book surprisingly hard to read too. After a twelve pages or so I wanted to set it down and seek something else, when I prefer a book that catches me and demands to be read as long as I stay awake. Consequently it took me ages to complete, though coating it I did eventually. I detest to begin anything without reaching the end.

The book is set against the background of the Spanish Civil War and mental images and memories from that clip were stark, real, frightening, and a reminder of how recent it all was, and how easy it is, for mature states to oversight into pandemonium and violence.

Don't allow me put you off. There is enough in here to delight almost anyone. The fictional characters are strong and unrecorded long in the memory, as make many of the images. But did it dwell up to the hype? Not in my eyes, but thankfully each of us different. You may love it, many folks do.

The Shadow of the Wind

By Carlos Ruiz Zafon

ISBN: 0753819317

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home